Joshua E. Stern, Divorce & Family Law Attorney
Joshua E. Stern, Esq. is the founder and managing partner of the Law Offices of Joshua E. Stern, a boutique law firm located in Evanston and Chicago and specializing in divorce, matrimonial and family law.
Whether you are preparing to marry or are leaving your marriage behind, Joshua provides the legal expertise you need while lending an empathetic ear and remaining sensitive to the individual needs of each and every one of his clients. Because every matter is unique, Joshua takes the time to listen to what his clients want and outline their options, so they know what to expect as their matter progresses.
Despite his extensive litigation experience, Joshua believes most cases can be settled out of court. A talented negotiator, Joshua knows how to strategize and advocate for his clients’ position without creating unnecessary antagonism.
A respected authority on family law and matrimonial issues, Joshua is a regular contributor to The Huffington Post, Divorce Magazine and Your Tango. His articles have been featured in Since My Divorce, Divorce Force, Support for Stepdads and other well-known platforms.
Divorce & Family Law Services
- Attorney-Assisted Mediation
- Child Relocation and Removal
- Child Support
- Divorce (Dissolution of Marriage)
- Divorce Litigation
- Enforcement of Judgments
- Maintenance (Alimony)
- Modification of Judgments
- Negotiated Divorce Settlements
- Parental Allocation (Sole and Joint Custody)
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Property Division in Divorce
- Uncontested and Amicable Divorce
Joshua received his J.D. from Emory University School of Law where he served as a Notes and Comments Editor for Emory’s International Law Journal, a case worker for Student Legal Services and the President of the Emory Law School Democrats. Joshua received his B.S. in Economics from DePaul University’s College of Commerce. Prior to attending law school, Joshua worked as a field economist for the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Bar Admissions & Associations
Joshua is admitted to practice in Illinois. He is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association and West Suburban Bar Association.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2018, 2019
- Awarded by Illinois Super Lawyers, the designation is granted to the top 2.5% of lawyers under 40 years of age in Illinois.
- Emerging Lawyers 2019
- Awarded by the Law Bulletin, Emerging Lawyers are made up of the top 2% percent of lawyers who are 40 years of age or under in Illinois.
- Expertise.com Top 22 Divorce Lawyers In Chicago 2017, 2018, 2019.
- “7 Top Tips For Newly Graduated Lawyers”
Lawyer Monthly, June 20, 2017
- “The One Thing Your Divorce Lawyer Shouldn’t Be Pushing You To Do”
HuffPost, April 25, 2017
- “Should You Have An Expense Account With Your Ex After Divorce”
Divorce Force, February 16, 2017
- “The Co-Parenting Cheat Sheet: Issues You Should Think About While Negotiating Your Divorce”
Huffington Post, January 30, 2017
- “Is Your Divorce Lawyer Overcharging You?”
Divorce Girl Smiling, January 16, 2017
- “Pet Visitation: Is It Worth The Trouble”
Divorce Magazine, January 13, 2017
- “5 Tips For Divorcing A Narcissist”
Your Tango: October 20, 2016
- “5 Reasons You May Not Want To Date Until You’re Divorced”
Your Tango: October 12, 2016
- “5 Questions Clients Should Ask (But Never Do) About Attorney Billing”
Huffington Post: October 3, 2016
- “How a Pet Can Heal Your Heart and Head When Divorcing”
Divorced Moms: September 21, 2016
- “5 Pieces Of Parenting Advice To Help Children Adjust Post-Divorce”
Huffington Post: September 14, 2016
- “Parenting Isn’t A Right”
Since My Divorce: March 29, 2013
- “A Stepfather-Stepchild Relationship – Eight Tips”
Support for Stepdads: February 4, 2013
- “Managing Debt While Contemplating Divorce”
Financial Planning Tips: 2013
- “Evaluate Law School Career Services”
U.S. News And World Report: July 28, 2017
- “The GOP Plan to Roll Back Medicaid Might Force More Couples to Get Divorced”
Washington Post: March 16, 2017
- “7 Often Overlooked Provisions to Include in Your Parenting Plan”
Custody X Change: March 2017
- “How To Find The Best Divorce Lawyer: 15 Experts Share Their Opinion”
Split Corner: October 20, 2016
- “Should You Add a ‘Lifestyle Clause’ To Your Prenup? (Or Are They Just For Celebrities?)”
Huffington Post: July 22, 2016
- “12 Things to Do Before Starting a Business”
Business News Daily: June 2, 2016
- Guest Lecturer, Conflict Resolution Training – May 15, 2018
- Table Ambassador, Divorce University – March 4, 2018
- Guest Lecturer, Conflict Resolution Training – October 14, 2016
- Guest Lecturer, Conflict Resolution Training – September 1, 2015
- Speaker, “Addiction and Mental Illness In Divorce” – Lilac Tree: June 12, 2014
- Lilac Tree – Board Member
- Jewish United Fund